Professional Project: Jessica Mevius, OT Graduate Student
For the aging population, one of the most important occupations is maintaining independence through mobility for as long as possible.
STISIM Driving Simulator
STISIM Driving Simulator is ideal for screening drivers with various post-recovery conditions such as stroke & TBI. This simulator can be used by OTs for assessment & rehabilitation purposes. “Driving simulation can safely and efficiently assess and train impaired drivers under hazardous conditions that could never be controlled or tolerated in real world driving.”32
STISIM Drives creators stated that this device is for assessment of the effects of medical conditions on driving ability and also a supportive device for assessment of cognitive impairment in older drivers. This assessment tool includes many key features; a short list follows:32
- Gauging the level of training required
- Tracking progress
- Maintaining, re-training, and/or improving current driving skills
- Teaching complex vehicle maneuvers that are too dangerous for on-road training
- Presenting updated traffic rules and regulations
- Lessening of simulator sickness recognized by many researchers
Where to Obtain
For more information about the STISIM Drive simulator please go to:
Who is originally responsible for this Tool?
Systems Technology, Inc. (STI)