Professional Project: Jessica Mevius, OT Graduate Student
For the aging population, one of the most important occupations is maintaining independence through mobility for as long as possible.
Fact sheets and driver rehabilitation specialist directory.
Consumer fact sheets on specific conditions and evaluations, referrals to state organizations. Also find a Driver Rehabilitation Specialist.
Foundation for Traffic Safety is dedicated to saving lives and reducing injuries on the roads.
What you should know about aging and driving.
Brochures on traffic safety.
Information for Older Road Users
Tips for older drivers - sections on “Giving Up Keys”.
(1) AARP & AAA (2007). Program Goals and Outcomes. Retrieved February 11, 2009, from CARFIT Helping Mature Drivers Find Their Perfect Fit Web site: http://www.car-fit.org/
(2) AARP Driver Safety Program (N/A). Keeping Safe. Retrieved December 29, 2008, from AARP.org Web site: http://www.aarp.org/families/driver_safety/driver_safetyissues/a2004-06-07-closecall.html
(3) American Association of Retired Persons, (2004). Test Your Driving IQ. Retrieved February 19, 2009, from AARP.org Web site: http://www.aarp.org/families/driver_safety/driver_ed/a2004-06-23-drivingiq.html
(4) American Automobile Association, (2009). AAA Roadwise Review. Retrieved November 29, 2008, from AAA Exchange Web site: http://www.aaaexchange.com/Main/Default.asp?SectionID=&SubCategoryID=38&CategoryID=3&ContentID=315&
(5) American Medical Association. (2004). Physicians guide to assessing and counseling older drivers. Retrieved March 29, 2008, from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/olderdriver/OlderDriversBooks/
(6) American Occupational Therapy Association (2008). Occupational therapy and driving. Retrieved March 30, 2008, from American Occupational Therapy Association Web site: http://www1.aota.org/olderdriver/
(7) Asher, Ina E. (2007). Occupational therapy assessment tools: An annotated index. (3rd ed.) Bethesda, MD: AOTA Press.
(8) Cockrell, J.R., & Folstein, M.F. (1988). Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE). Psychopharm Bull. 24, 689-692.
(9) Colarusso, R. P., & Hammill, D. D. (1972). Motor-Free Visual Perception Test. Los Angeles, California: Western Psychological Services.
(10) Crepeau, E. B., Cohn, E. S., & Schell, B. A. B. (2003). Willard & Spackman’s Occupational therapy (10th ed.). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins., 1026, 1028, 1030, 1034.
(11) DriveABLE Assessment Centres Inc, (2007). DriveABLE. Retrieved March 28, 2009, from DriveABLE Driver Risk Management Solutions Web site: http://www.driveable.com/
(12) Eby, D. W., Molnar, J.M., & Kartje, P. (2006). SAFER Driving: The Enhanced Driving Decisions Workbook. Retrieved March 29, 2009, from The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute Web site: http://www.um-saferdriving.org/firstPage.php
(13) Eby, D. W., Molnar, L. J., & Shope, J. T. (2000). Driving Decisions Workbook. Transportation Research Institute. Retrieved March 10, 2008 from http://www.umtri.umich.edu/library/pdf/2000-14.pdf
(14) Folstein, M. F., Folstein, S. E., & McHugh, P. R. (1975). Mini-mental state: A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 12, 189-198.
(15) Folstein, M. F., Folstein, S. E., and Fanjiang, G. (2009). MMSE. Retrieved January 4, 2009, from Mini-Mental State Examination Web site: http://www.minimental.com/
(16) Gamble, M. (N/A). When to Put the Brakes On Elderly Drivers. Retrieved March 29, 2009, from Aging Parents and Elder Care Web site: http://www.aging-parents-and-elder-care.com/Pages/Checklists/Elderly_Drivers.html
(17) Gianutsos, R. (2001). Driver Rehabilitation Resources. Retrieved November 18, 2008, from Cogrehab.com Web site: http://www.cogrehab.com/tools/drivertools.php3
(18) Hooper, H. E. (2008). Hooper Visual Organization Test (VOT). Retrieved February 8 2009, from Western Psychological Services Web site: http://portal.wpspublish.com/portal/page?_pageid=53,69277&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
(19) Lee, H. C., & Lee, A. H. (2005). Brief report – Identifying older drivers at risk of traffic violations by using a driving simulation: A 3-year longitudinal study. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 59, 97-100.
(20) Lee, H. C., & Lee, A. H., & Cameron, D. (2003). Validation of driving simulator by measuring the visual attention skills of older adult drivers. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 57, 324-328.
(21) Lewis, S. C. (2003). Elder Care in Occupational Therapy. Slack, Inc., 311-321.
(22) Malfetti, J. L., Winter, D. J. (1994). Drivers 55 Plus: Test Your Own Performance, American Automobile Association Foundation for Traffic Safety.
(23) Mallon, K., & Wood, J. (2004). Occupational therapy assessment of open-road driving performance: Validity of directed and self-directed navigational instructional components. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 57, 279-286.
(24) McMaster University (2008). Power-Mobility Driving Assessments. Retrieved March 20, 2009, from McMaster University Web site: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/powermobility/index.htm
(25) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (2003). Driving Safely While Aging Gracefully. Retrieved March 12, 2009, from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Web site: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/olddrive/Driving%20Safely%20Aging%20Web/
(26) NHTSA’s National Center for Statistics and Analysis (2006). Traffic Safety Facts: Older Population. Retrieved March 29, 2008, from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.31176b9b0367a189ca8e410dba046a0/
(27) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (2005). Older driver traffic safety plan. Retrieved March 29, 2008, from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/olddrive/OlderDriverPlan/index.html
(28) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration & American Society on Aging (2007). DriveWell: Promoting older driver safety and mobility in your community. Retrieved March 29, 2008, from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.31176b9b0367a189ca8e410dba046a0/
(29) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (n.d.). Turning the corner and still driving: A review of law enforcement programs involving older driver safety. Retrieved March 27, 2008, from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/olddrive/TurnThecornerWeb/pages/TOC.htm
(30) PAR Inc, (2005). Developmental Test of Visual Perception-Adolescent and Adult (DTVP-A). Retrieved November 3, 2009, from Psychological Assessment Resources Inc. Web site: http://www3.parinc.com/products/product.aspx?Productid=DTVP-A
(31) Radomski, M.V., Trombly Latham, C.A.(2008). Occupational Therapy for Physical Dysfunction. Baltimore, 3rd Ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
(32) Systems Technologies, (2008). Elder Drivers. Retrieved January 15, 2009, from STISIM Drive Web site: http://www.stisimdrive.com/our-solutions/training-solutions/elderly-drivers.html
(33) Texas Aging Network (2007). Senior Driving Assessment. Texas Department of Public Safety. Retrieved March 9, 2008, from http://www.texasagingnetwork.com/caregivers-corner/driving-assessment.pdf
(34) Tombaugh, T. N. (2003).Trail Making Test A and B: Normative data stratified by age and education. National Academy of Neuropsychology. 19, 203-214.
(35) U.S. Bureau of the Census (2004). U.S. interim projections by age, sex, race, and Hispanic origin. Retrieved March 9, 2008, from http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/usinterimproj/
(36) Watt, W. S. (2008). How Visual Acuity Is Measured. Retrieved December 18, 2008, from Macular Degeneration Support Web site: http://www.mdsupport.org/library/acuity.html